NFA’s application process is much different from that of other independent high schools. The Academy's application process is based upon residency.
- Students who live in one of NFA’s partner districts (Bozrah, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Norwich, Preston, Sprague or Voluntown) do not need to apply to attend. Their district has a formal agreement with Norwich Free Academy to accept all students from their community who choose to attend.
- Students who live in a community other than those listed above, apply to attend Norwich Free Academy as tuition students. To do so, fill out “Yes, I’m interested” and NFA’s Director of Student Affairs will assist you in the process.
- International students apply to attend Norwich Free Academy as tuition students. To do so, fill out “Yes, I’m interested” and NFA’s Director of Guidance will assist you in the process.
For entering ninth graders, registration begins in January of their eighth grade year. NFA School Counselors visit middle schools in Bozrah, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Norwich, Preston, Sprague, and Voluntown to share information and a course catalog with future Wildcats and to help them register for September.
Students relocating to a partner district, or entering NFA as 10th, 11th, or 12th graders complete the appropriate forms below, and contact the Registrar for a registration appointment.
NOTE: If you were enrolled in a partner district middle school and did not register in the spring to attend NFA for the 2016-17 school year, follow the instructions under "Relocating to a Partner District"
For students currently enrolled in a middle school in Norwich Free Academy’s partner communities –Bozrah, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Norwich, Preston, Sprague, and Voluntown, NFA School Counselors will visit in January to distribute registration information, forms and course catalogs.
Those relocating to Norwich, fill out and sign all Norwich Registration Forms.
Those relocating to Bozrah, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Preston, Sprague, and Voluntown, fill out and sign all Non-Norwich Registration Forms.
All must also present the following:
- Proof of residency (lease agreement, mortgage documents or utility bill) A driver’s license is not acceptable
- Student’s birth certificate (long form)
- Student’s social security card
- Student's most recent transcript and all other prior grades
- In the case of a change of child custody, court documents or a notarized letter from the custodial parent
- Student’s immunization record and last physical
NFA participates in the National School Lunch Program. For more information visit Chartwells Food Service.
IMPORTANT: A Residency Affidavit completed and signed by your town’s Superintendent of Schools is required for residents of Bozrah, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Preston, Sprague, and Voluntown. Bring your proof of residency (lease agreement, mortgage documents or utility bill) with you for approval.
Those who do not reside in one of Norwich Free Academy’s partner districts may call the Director of Student Affairs for questions or information at 860-425-5510.
Norwich Free Academy welcomes international students seeking a rigorous college-preparatory high school experience. Qualified international applicants have a strong academic record and sufficient oral and written English language proficiency to perform well in NFA’s challenging program.
NFA can admit a student for four years. International students seeking admission may call the Director of Guidance for an application.
Once accepted, and once a signed tuition contract is received, Norwich Free Academy will issue the I-20 required to apply for a F-1 Student Visa.
Norwich Free Academy is a day school; it does not provide housing. Students’ families may arrange student housing directly or through their agent. For a referral to an agent, e-mail John Iovino, Director of Student Affairs.
Please assemble all necessary documentation as outlined above prior to meeting with the Registrar. For further information or to schedule your initial conference, please contact Melody Pishka, Registrar, at (860) 425-5605.