NORWICH FREE ACADEMY HOME-SCHOOLING POLICY
Parents wishing to educate their children in the home may do so in compliance with Connecticut General Statutes and regulations of the Connecticut State Board of Education. When parents/guardians notify the administration of The Norwich Free Academy of their decision to provide home schooling for their child(ren), the administration shall contact the superintendent of schools of the sending town in which the family resides. The sending town shall provide whatever reasonable assistance it can, within the parameters of the public school district’s policy, to ensure such children benefit appropriately from home instruction. When parents/guardians are willing to discuss their decision for home instruction with school personnel, school district staff, including the administration of The Norwich Free Academy, shall explain the advantages of education in a school setting with peers to such parents/guardians without any criticism of parental choices. If decisions are made by parents/guardians to return home schooled children to The Norwich Free Academy, the administration shall provide an appropriate return to school within the guidelines of state statutes.
The following parameters for home schooling shall be followed:
The Norwich Free Academy administration shall assist the sending town superintendent and administration, as requested, with the review of the home schooling instructional plan provided by the parent/guardian.
1. The Norwich Free Academy shall withdraw from the school rolls any student under age seventeen participating in a home schooling program upon the approval of the sending town superintendent.
2. The Norwich Free Academy shall withdraw from the school rolls any student seventeen years of age or older involved in a home schooling program at parent/guardian request.
3. The Norwich Free Academy will not accept or grant credits for home schooling unless the home schooling is done through a regionally or state accredited program.
4. The Norwich Free Academy will not grant a diploma for home schooled students.
5. Only those students who are enrolled in school at The Norwich Free Academy are eligible for participation in classes, co-curricular activities and school-sponsored events.
6. The Norwich Free Academy will loan appropriate texts to parents/guardians for use in an approved home schooling program at the request of the sending town. The Norwich Free Academy administration may request a copy of the home schooling instructional plan for these purposes.
7. The Norwich Free Academy neither undertakes, accepts, nor assumes any responsibility for the adequacy, effectiveness, or appropriateness of any proposed or actual program of home instruction.
See Also: Administrative Procedure 6172.3 Home Schooling Notification
Legal Reference: Connecticut General Statutes
10-184 Duties of Parents
10-220 Duties of Boards of Education
Regulations of the Connecticut State Board of Education
Policy Adopted: May 20, 1997
Policy revised: April 21, 2009
August 17, 2021