NORWICH FREE ACADEMY
SCHOOL-FAMILY-COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS POLICY
The Norwich Free Academy recognizes that a child’s education is a responsibility shared by the school and the family and that active parental involvement is fundamental to improved student achievement. The diversity of communities that send students to The Norwich Free Academy include families from a variety of socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds. This diversity is embraced by the Academy and strengthens the educational experience for all students. The Norwich Free Academy shall establish and support programs and practices that enhance parent involvement and reflect the specific needs of students and their families.
The Norwich Free Academy shall support the following practices to encourage parental involvement:
• Responsible parenting is promoted and supported by school personnel.
• Communication between home and school is regular, two-way, and meaningful.
• Parental support and assistance is welcome in the school community.
• Parental involvement is sought in decisions that affect their children.
• Community resources are made available, where appropriate, to strengthen school programs, family practices, and student learning.
• Professional development opportunities for faculty are supported to enhance effective parent involvement strategies.
• The administration shall periodically review practices to involve parents in the school community.
Legal Reference: P.A. 97-290
See Also: A Guide to Developing Partnership Programs for Student Success Connecticut State Department of Education, June 1998
The Norwich Free Academy Teacher Handbook Policy Adopted: February 2, 1999
Policy Revised: May 22, 2007