Applying & Registering
NFA’s application process is much different from that of other independent high schools. The Academy's application process is based upon residency.
- Students who live in one of NFA’s partner districts (Bozrah, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Norwich, Preston, Sprague or Voluntown) do not need to apply to attend. Their district has a formal agreement with Norwich Free Academy to accept all students from their community who choose to attend.
- Students who live in a community other than those listed above, apply to attend Norwich Free Academy as tuition students. To do so, fill out “Yes, I’m interested” and NFA’s Director of Student Affairs will assist you in the process.
- International students apply to attend Norwich Free Academy as tuition students. To do so, fill out “Yes, I’m interested” and NFA’s Director of Guidance will assist you in the process.
For entering ninth graders, registration begins in January of their eighth grade year. NFA School Counselors visit middle schools in Bozrah, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Norwich, Preston, Sprague, and Voluntown to share information and a course catalog with future Wildcats and to help them register for September.
Students relocating to a partner district, or entering NFA as 10th, 11th, or 12th graders complete the appropriate form below, and contact the Registrar for a registration appointment.
- Currently Enrolled In A Partner District
- Relocating To A Partner District
- Residing In Other Communities
- International Students
NOTE: If you were enrolled in a partner district middle school and did not register in the spring to attend NFA for the current school year, follow the instructions under "Relocating to a Partner District"
For students currently enrolled in a middle school in Norwich Free Academy’s partner communities –Bozrah, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Norwich, Preston, Sprague, and Voluntown, NFA School Counselors will visit in January to distribute registration information, forms and course catalogs.
Those relocating to Norwich, Bozrah, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Preston, Sprague, and Voluntown, fill out and sign the Registration Packet.
All must also present the following:
- Residency Affidavit completed and signed by your town’s Superintendent of Schools is required for residents of Norwich, Bozrah, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Franklin, Lisbon, Preston, Sprague, and Voluntown. Please check with your town for its requirements.
- Legal parent/guardian picture ID
- Proof of guardianship (if not birth parent or if divorced): Adoption papers, court order, guardianship papers from probate court, or DCF Form 603
- Student’s birth certificate (long form)
- All Academic records (Transcripts, test, report cards, etc.)
- Current Individual Education Plan (IEP) for special education students
- 504 Plan
- Student’s immunization record and last physical
NFA participates in the National School Lunch Program. For more information visit Chartwells Food Service.
Please assemble all necessary documentation as outlined above prior to meeting with the Registrar. For further information or to schedule your initial conference, please contact Melody Pishka, Registrar, at (860) 425-5605.