An important update - October 1, 2020
As a result of the recent spike in positive COVID-19 cases in the city of Norwich, NFA will transition to a minimum of two weeks of remote learning beginning Friday, October 2.
This is a necessary pause for the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff.
Our decision was made in collaboration with our partners at Norwich Public Schools and with the support of the Uncas Health District and local officials. This decision is not based on the factors we have seen at school, but rather what is happening in our community. Together with Norwich Public Schools, we hope this two-week pause in face-to-face learning will assist in lowering the potential spread and therefore provide an opportunity for our students to return to the classroom Monday, October 19.
During this time, students will continue to follow the current red and white schedule. That schedule will only be modified if we need to make additional adjustments based on the positivity rates in our community.
Another area impacted by this decision is our athletics program. With this two-week move to remote learning, all athletic events during this time, including practices and games, will be halted beginning Friday, October 2.
Grab-and-go meals will be available for our students during this time. Meals can be picked up daily between 12 and 1 pm in the Bradlaw lot, which is located at the East Gate off of Joseph Perkins Road.
Some of our students are scheduled to take the SAT and PSAT October 14. We will provide more information as soon as we finalize the new scheduled dates.
Our students and staff have done an exceptional job in this challenging environment. The protocols we have put in place have been effective. To date, we have had two positive cases, including one that we were just notified about today involving a fully remote learner who has not been on campus at all this year.
I understand the weight of this moment, and this is not something to be taken lightly. The safety of our students and staff is the focal point of every decision we make. It is my sincere hope that this decision, combined with enhanced awareness and a focus on mitigation efforts, will allow for our community to stop the spread and provide an opportunity for our students to return to the classroom.
With continued appreciation for your cooperation and patience,
Dr. Brian M. Kelly
Head of School