- February 27 - NFA Day - early release day
Attention 11th and 12th grade students: CT Office of Higher Education's is hosting CT's largest one day occupational career expo, 'CareerConn 2020' on March. 19th, 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM in Hartford. During the field trip students will have the opportunity to visit the expo and learn from industry insiders during six career track workshops: healthcare, automotive, hospitality, computer based occupations, manufacturing/construction, professional beauty. For more information or to pick up a permission slip visit the College and Career Center, 1221. The trip is open to the first 40 students who return permission slips.
Introduction to Fire Service Course
Attention 11th and 12th grade students: Enroll now in the Introduction to Fire Service Course. Through this course students will learn about the rigorous training required of a modern firefighter interested in serving his/her community as a volunteer or career firefighter. The class will be held over 7 full days (8:30 am-3:00 pm), March - May. Transportation will be provided to and from the class. Students who participate will earn 1/2 credit. For more information on enrolling visit the College and Career Center, 1221.
Scholarship Opportunities for Seniors:
- New England Red Sox Service Scholarship for Connecticut: $1,000 scholarship (EXTENDED TO Feb. 14th deadline)
- University of Connecticut ECE Scholarship: $500 scholarship (February 26th deadline), must be taking an ECE class to apply
- Charter Oak Federal Credit Union Scholarship: $2000.00 (March 16th deadline), must a primary member of Charter Oak Federal Credit Union
- St Anthony Chapel Scholarship: Award Varies Year to Year (April 1st deadline)
- The Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut Scholarship: Awards Vary (April 3rd deadline)
- Chelsea Groton Bank Scholarship: $500.00 (April 9th deadline)
- The Cynthia A. Carano Memorial Scholarship: Award Varies, Minimum $500.00 (May 1st deadline), must be a graduate from Preston Plains Middle School.
NEWS FROM PROJECT OUTREACH
- Project Outreach is looking for volunteers for all study hall channels for the second semester. Volunteers help with the delivery of passes and small projects. Volunteers will have their study hall switched to the Project Outreach room. See Mrs Savage to sign up in room 7101
- Project Outreach is looking for volunteers for the Reading Buddies Program during C1, D1, B2 and G2 study halls. Reading Buddy volunteers go to a local elementary school and read to students and return in time for their next class. Sign up with Mrs Savage if interested in room 7101
- Backus Hospital will be accepting applications for their summer volunteer program starting February 1st until February 7th. If you are interested in applying for this program please see Mrs. Savage in the Project Outreach Office room 7101 for more information and an application. Applications will not be accepted early or late for this program so plan accordingly.